Tuesday 1 April 2008

Let them eat Tres Leches Cake...




Every sunday at our house is godparents day. This is when the kids godparents come over, spend some time with the kids, have a scrumptious meal and then when the kids are in bed the adults spend some time playing console games (yes now is the time to confess we do live in a geek household) or board games etc.

I started off the meal with Pumpkin risotto with crumbed eggplant, napoli sauce & cheese. It was divine but I still had some flavour tweaking I want to do when I next make it. So once I've done that I'll post the recipe :) For dessert I decided to make Tres Leches Cake. And OMG I never realised the calorie content of this dish... its insane! I think its something to make for a tea party or big gathering as such a small recipe goes a long way! We still have too much sitting in our fridge and I daresay it won't get eaten.

Ok Recipe time...

I used a butter cake recipe as a base.

Ingredients:

These quantities make one standard cake (this is slightly more than a normal sized butter cake).
3/4 cup of softened butter
1 cup of caster sugar
3 eggs (lightly beaten)
1.5 tsp Vanilla Essence
3 cups SR Flour
1 cup milk
1 395 ml tin condensed milk (low fat can be used)
1 375 ml tin evaporated milk (low fat can be used)
600mls whipping cream (low fat can be used)
3 Heaped Tablespoons icing sugar
Desired Fruit for decoration (I used blueberries/mango/crushed pineapple)

Method:

Cream butter & Sugar. Add eggs one at a time once combined add the next egg till all combined. Add vanilla and mix well. Add small amounts of flour and milk until well combined. Put mix into a 9 x 13 inch/22 x 33 cm baking dish (pyrex is good) Bake in a 160 C/320F oven for about 30-45 minutes or when skewer comes our clean and top is lightly browned. Allow cake to cool for 5 to 10 minutes then using a skewer poke holes all over the warm cake. Then combine condensed Milk & evaporated milk, pour milk mixture over the cake and allow to rest. Once cake is cool to touch cover in cling film and refridgerate for at least 1 hour. After an hour whisk 600mls cream and 3 large tablespoons icing sugar until peaks form. Cover cake in whipped cream then refridgerate till almost ready to serve. Before serving top with fruit of your choice, we used crushed pinapple, mango & blueberries and it was delish!

I think at this rate I'm going to be asking for a Wii fit for mothers day, as all this cooking isn't going to do much for my already goddessly shaped figure!

Oh well till next G-Day...

No comments: